top of page

Benefits of Winning Asylum Case

Read for an overview of the benefits of winning your asylum case.

Lea para obtener una descripción general de los beneficios de ganar su caso de asilo.



This explains the benefits an individual gains by winning their asylum case.

How long is asylum valid for.

A grant of asylum in the United States allows you to remain in the U.S. for an indefinite period of time. Asylum status is not the same as being a legal permanent resident (“Green Card holder”). But you are eligible to apply for permanent residence after holding asylum for one year. Asylum status alone does not give you the right to remain permanently in the United States.

It is possible to lose your asylum status if:

• You no longer have a well-founded fear of persecution because of a fundamental change in circumstances in your home country;

• You have obtained protection from another country. For example, you received asylum both in the U.S. and Canada. In that case, you could lose your grant of asylum in the U.S.; or

• You have committed certain crimes or engaged in other activity that makes you ineligible to retain asylum status in the United States. See INA § 208(c)(2).

If you have concerns about any of these issues, you should talk with an attorney.

Obtaining I-94

Now that you have been granted asylum, you need to obtain Form I-94, Arrival Departure Record. This form shows that you have been granted asylum status in the United States. Your grant of asylum includes your family members that were put in your asylum application. If you were granted asylum after your asylum interview, the United States Customs and Immigration Service (“USCIS”) will mail you your I-94. If you do not receive it, contact the asylum office.

If you were granted asylum after a hearing before an Immigration Judge, you need to make an appointment to get your I-94 on INFOPASS. DO NOT just go to the asylum office. They will not see you without an appointment. Make sure to bring identification and your court decision showing that you received asylum to your appointment.

Employment Authorization

Asylees are work-authorized regardless of whether or not they are in possession of an employment authorization document (“EAD”). So you do not need to have an EAD. However, you may want to obtain an EAD from USCIS in order to meet other obligations.

For example, the EAD serves as evidence of both identity and employment authorization, so you could present it to an employer as a List A document of the Employment Eligibility Verification form (Form I-9). Also, the EAD can serve as evidence of alien registration, which is required by law to be carried by registered aliens at all times.

Since November 10, 2002, asylum applicants who have been granted asylum no longer have to file an application with the Nebraska Service Center to obtain an initial EAD. Section 309 of the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act of 2002 requires USCIS to issue an employment authorization document containing at least a fingerprint and photograph to an asylee immediately upon a grant of asylum.

If you wish to renew your EAD, you will still need to submit an EAD application with the Nebraska Service Center, and pay a fee or request a fee waiver under 8 CFR § 103.7(c).

Social Security Cards

You may immediately apply for an unrestricted Social Security card at any Social Security office. You can get an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) or more information about applying for a Social Security card by going to SSA website, calling the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213, or visiting a local Social Security office.

Employment Assistance

As an asylee, you can also receive a variety of services under Title I of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. These services include job search assistance, career counseling, and occupational skills training. These and other services are available at local One-Stop Career Centers. For more information about One-Stop Career Centers, asylees may call 1-877-US2-JOBS. The information is also available on-line through America’s Service Locator website.

Derivative Asylum Status for Your Spouse or Children

You may request derivative asylum status for any spouse or child (unmarried and under 21 years of age as of the date the asylee filed the asylum application, as long as the asylum application was pending on or after August 6, 2002), even if you did not include them in your original asylum application. You must simply prove that you have a qualifying relationship to that relative.

To request derivative asylum status for qualifying relatives that were not included in your original application, you must submit a Form I-730, Refugee and Asylee Relative Petition, to the Nebraska Service Center, P.O. Box 87730, Lincoln, NE 68501-7730. The Form I-730 must be filed for each qualifying family member within two years of the date you were granted asylum status, unless USCIS determines that this time period should be extended for humanitarian reasons.

Adjustment of Status

One year from the date you obtained a final grant of asylum, you are eligible to apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (“Green Card holder”). Only 10,000 asylee adjustments are granted each year.

Thus, you will be placed on a waiting list until a visa becomes available for you. Currently, there is a long wait of many years before your adjustment application is approved or rejected. During that time, you continue to have legal status in the United States as an asylee.

You should apply for adjustment of status as soon as possible after one year of receiving a final grant of asylum. If you need assistance applying for adjustment of status, you should contact an immigration attorney.

How do I apply for Adjustment of Status as an asylee?

To apply for lawful permanent residence status, you must submit a separate Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, for yourself and each qualifying family member to the Nebraska Service Center, P.O. Box 87485, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68501-7485.

If you have a child who turns 21 years old before the end of the adjustment process and before August 6, 2002, the child can still be classified as a child for purposes of section 208(b)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act as long as the child was under 21 years of age at the date of filing the asylum application.

Assistance and Services through the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)

As an asylee, you may be eligible to receive assistance and services through the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR).

ORR funds and administers various programs, which are run by state and private, non-profit agencies throughout the United States. The programs include cash and medical assistance, employment preparation and job placement, and English language training.

Many of these programs have time-limited eligibility periods that begin from the date the asylee is granted asylum. You can find out what programs are available and where to go for assistance and services in his or her state by calling 1-800-354-0365.

Leaving the United States BEFORE you are a legal permanent resident

It is essential that you do not return to your home country until you are a lawful permanent resident (you have your green card). If you do return to your home country, the USCIS could revoke your status as an asylee.

Even after you obtain lawful permanent residence status, we recommend that you do not travel to your home country.

In order to travel outside the United States, you must have a refugee travel document. This document is very similar to a passport, and it will allow you to travel to and from the United States. Your qualifying family members, if any, will also have to obtain refugee travel documents before leaving the United States. A Refugee Travel Document may be used for temporary travel abroad and is required for reentry to the United States as an asylee.

If you do not obtain a Refugee Travel Document in advance of departure, you may be unable to re-enter the United States, or you may be placed in removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge.

To apply for a Refugee Travel Document, you will need to submit a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with the required fee or request for fee waiver under 8 CFR § 103.7(c) to the Nebraska Service Center, P.O. Box 87131, Lincoln, NE 68501-7131.

Committing Crimes

Although you have been granted asylum in the United States, you may still be removed if you commit certain crimes.


These are some of the crimes for which you may be removed from United States and may be forced to return to your home country:

• Murder

• Rape

• Sexual Abuse of a minor

• Child Pornography

• Assault

• Aggravated Crimes of Domestic Violence

• Drug Distribution, Drug Trafficking, or Drug Addiction

• Violations of Protective Orders

• Robbery

• Theft

If you are ever arrested, you should consult a criminal defense attorney and an immigration attorney before revealing any information about what happened to the police, entering into an agreement or making a plea bargain.

The criminal defense attorney will be able to represent you in your criminal case, and the immigration attorney can advise you about the immigration consequences of any plea bargains or convictions. It is essential that you consult both types of attorneys because the definition of a conviction for immigration purposes is much broader than the definition of a conviction for criminal purposes.

Other Responsibilities

You have other responsibilities as an asylee. These include the requirement to notify USCIS of any change in address within 10 days of any such change using Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card.

Additionally, any male asylees between the ages of 18 and 26 must register for the Selective Service. To obtain information about the Selective Service and how to register, an asylee may sign on to the Selective Service website or obtain a Selective Service “mail-back” registration form at his or her nearest post office.

Applying for Citizenship

While you are not required to become a U.S. citizen, there are important reasons to consider doing so. Being a legal permanent resident does not give you the same legal rights as U.S. citizens.

Esto explica los beneficios que obtiene una persona al ganar su caso de asilo.


¿Durante cuánto tiempo es válido el asilo?

La concesión de asilo en Estados Unidos le permite permanecer en el país por tiempo indefinido. La condición de asilado no es lo mismo que ser residente legal permanente ("titular de la tarjeta verde"). Pero puede solicitar la residencia permanente tras un año de asilo. El estatuto de asilo por sí solo no le da derecho a permanecer permanentemente en Estados Unidos.


Puede perder su condición de asilado si:


- Deja de tener un temor fundado de persecución debido a un cambio fundamental de las circunstancias en su país de origen;

- Ha obtenido protección de otro país. Por ejemplo, ha recibido asilo tanto en EE.UU. como en Canadá. En ese caso, podría perder la concesión de asilo en EE.UU.; o

- Ha cometido determinados delitos o participado en otras actividades que le impiden conservar la condición de asilado en Estados Unidos. Véase INA § 208(c)(2).

Si le preocupa alguna de estas cuestiones, debería hablar con un abogado.


Obtener el I-94

Ahora que se le ha concedido el asilo, necesita obtener el formulario I-94, Registro de Llegada y Salida. Este formulario muestra que se le ha concedido el estatus de asilado en los Estados Unidos. Su concesión de asilo incluye a los miembros de su familia que se pusieron en su solicitud de asilo. Si le han concedido el asilo después de la entrevista de asilo, el Servicio de Aduanas e Inmigración de Estados Unidos ("USCIS") le enviará su I-94 por correo. Si no lo recibe, póngase en contacto con la oficina de asilo.


Si le concedieron el asilo después de una audiencia ante un Juez de Inmigración, tiene que concertar una cita para obtener su I-94 en INFOPASS. NO vaya simplemente a la oficina de asilo. No le atenderán sin cita previa. Asegúrese de llevar a la cita un documento de identidad y la resolución judicial que demuestre que ha recibido asilo.


Autorización de trabajo

Los asilados están autorizados a trabajar independientemente de si poseen o no un documento de autorización de empleo ("EAD"). Por tanto, no necesita tener un EAD. Sin embargo, es posible que desee obtener un EAD de USCIS para cumplir con otras obligaciones.


Por ejemplo, el EAD sirve como prueba tanto de identidad como de autorización de empleo, por lo que podría presentarlo a un empleador como documento de la Lista A del formulario de Verificación de Elegibilidad de Empleo (Formulario I-9). Además, el DEE puede servir como prueba del registro de extranjeros, que la ley exige que lleven consigo en todo momento los extranjeros registrados.


Desde el 10 de noviembre de 2002, los solicitantes a los que se ha concedido asilo ya no tienen que presentar una solicitud en el Centro de Servicios de Nebraska para obtener un EAD inicial. El artículo 309 de la Ley de mejora de la seguridad fronteriza y reforma de la entrada de visados de 2002 exige al USCIS que expida un documento de autorización de empleo que contenga al menos una huella dactilar y una fotografía a un asilado inmediatamente después de la concesión del asilo.


Si desea renovar su EAD, todavía tendrá que presentar una solicitud de EAD en el Centro de Servicios de Nebraska y pagar una tasa o solicitar una exención de tasas en virtud del 8 CFR § 103.7(c).


Tarjetas de la Seguridad Social

Puede solicitar inmediatamente una tarjeta de la Seguridad Social sin restricciones en cualquier oficina de la Seguridad Social. Puede obtener una Solicitud de Tarjeta de la Seguridad Social (Formulario SS-5) o más información sobre cómo solicitar una tarjeta de la Seguridad Social visitando el sitio web de la SSA, llamando al número gratuito 1-800-772-1213 o visitando una oficina local de la Seguridad Social.


Ayuda para el empleo

Como asilado, también puede recibir una serie de servicios en virtud del Título I de la Ley de Inversión en la Población Activa (Workforce Investment Act) de 1998. Estos servicios incluyen asistencia en la búsqueda de empleo, asesoramiento profesional y formación en habilidades ocupacionales. Estos y otros servicios están disponibles en los Centros Profesionales Integrados (One-Stop Career Centers) locales. Para más información sobre los One-Stop Career Centers, los asilados pueden llamar al 1-877-US2-JOBS. La información también está disponible en línea a través del sitio web America's Service Locator.


Asilo derivado para su cónyuge o hijos

Puede solicitar el estatuto de asilo derivado para su cónyuge o hijos (solteros y menores de 21 años en la fecha en que el asilado presentó la solicitud de asilo, siempre que la solicitud de asilo estuviera pendiente el 6 de agosto de 2002 o después), aunque no los haya incluido en su solicitud de asilo original. Simplemente debe demostrar que tiene una relación cualificada con ese familiar.

Para solicitar el estatuto de asilo derivado para familiares que reúnan los requisitos y que no hayan sido incluidos en su solicitud original, deberá presentar un Formulario I-730, Petición para familiares refugiados y asilados, al Centro de Servicios de Nebraska, P.O. Box 87730, Lincoln, NE 68501-7730. El Formulario I-730 debe presentarse para cada miembro de la familia que reúna los requisitos dentro de los dos años siguientes a la fecha en que se le concedió la condición de asilado, a menos que el USCIS determine que este plazo debe ampliarse por razones humanitarias.


Ajuste de estatus

Transcurrido un año desde la fecha en que se le concedió el asilo definitivo, puede solicitar el cambio de estatus para convertirse en residente legal permanente ("titular de la tarjeta verde"). Sólo se conceden 10.000 ajustes de asilado al año.


Por lo tanto, se le inscribirá en una lista de espera hasta que haya un visado disponible para usted. Actualmente, hay que esperar muchos años antes de que se apruebe o rechace su solicitud de ajuste. Durante ese tiempo, seguirá teniendo estatus legal en Estados Unidos como asilado.


Debe solicitar el cambio de estatus lo antes posible, una vez transcurrido un año desde la concesión definitiva del asilo. Si necesita ayuda para solicitar el cambio de estatus, póngase en contacto con un abogado de inmigración.


¿Cómo solicito el cambio de estatus como asilado?

Para solicitar el estatus de residente permanente legal, debe presentar un Formulario I-485, Solicitud de Registro de Residencia Permanente o Ajuste de Estatus, por separado para usted y cada miembro de su familia que califique, al Centro de Servicio de Nebraska, P.O. Box 87485, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68501-7485.


Si usted tiene un hijo que cumple 21 años antes de que finalice el proceso de ajuste y antes del 6 de agosto de 2002, el hijo puede seguir siendo clasificado como hijo a efectos de la sección 208(b)(3) de la Ley de Inmigración y Nacionalidad siempre que el hijo fuera menor de 21 años en la fecha de presentación de la solicitud de asilo.

Asistencia y servicios a través de la Oficina de Reasentamiento de Refugiados (ORR)

Como asilado, puede optar a recibir asistencia y servicios a través de la Oficina de Reasentamiento de Refugiados (ORR).


La ORR financia y administra varios programas, gestionados por agencias estatales y privadas sin ánimo de lucro en todo Estados Unidos. Los programas incluyen asistencia médica y en metálico, preparación para el empleo e inserción laboral y formación en lengua inglesa.


Muchos de estos programas tienen períodos de elegibilidad limitados en el tiempo que comienzan a partir de la fecha en que se concede el asilo al asilado. Puede averiguar qué programas están disponibles y a dónde dirigirse para obtener asistencia y servicios en su estado llamando al 1-800-354-0365.


Salir de Estados Unidos ANTES de ser residente legal permanente

Es esencial que no regrese a su país de origen hasta que sea residente legal permanente (tenga su tarjeta verde). Si regresa a su país de origen, el USCIS podría revocar su condición de asilado.


Incluso después de obtener el estatuto de residente legal permanente, le recomendamos que no viaje a su país de origen.


Para viajar fuera de Estados Unidos, debe tener un documento de viaje de refugiado. Este documento es muy similar a un pasaporte y le permitirá viajar a y desde Estados Unidos. Los miembros de su familia que cumplan los requisitos, si los hay, también tendrán que obtener documentos de viaje para refugiados antes de salir de Estados Unidos. Un documento de viaje para refugiados puede utilizarse para viajar temporalmente al extranjero y es necesario para volver a entrar en Estados Unidos como asilado.


Si no obtiene un Documento de Viaje para Refugiados antes de salir, es posible que no pueda volver a entrar en Estados Unidos o que se le someta a un procedimiento de expulsión ante un Juez de Inmigración.


Para solicitar un Documento de Viaje para Refugiados, tendrá que presentar un Formulario I-131, Solicitud de Documento de Viaje, con la tasa requerida o la solicitud de exención de tasas en virtud del 8 CFR § 103.7(c) al Centro de Servicios de Nebraska, P.O. Box 87131, Lincoln, NE 68501-7131.


Cometer delitos

Aunque se le haya concedido asilo en Estados Unidos, puede ser expulsado si comete determinados delitos.


Estos son algunos de los delitos por los que puede ser expulsado de Estados Unidos y obligado a regresar a su país de origen:


- Asesinato

- Violación

- Abuso sexual de un menor

- Pornografía infantil

- Agresión

- Delitos agravados de violencia doméstica

- Distribución de drogas, tráfico de drogas o drogadicción

- Violación de órdenes de protección

- Robo

- Hurto


Si alguna vez es arrestado, debe consultar a un abogado de defensa penal y a un abogado de inmigración antes de revelar cualquier información sobre lo sucedido a la policía, llegar a un acuerdo o hacer una declaración de culpabilidad.

El abogado de defensa penal podrá representarle en su caso penal, y el abogado de inmigración puede asesorarle sobre las consecuencias para la inmigración de cualquier acuerdo con la fiscalía o condena. Es esencial que consulte a ambos tipos de abogados porque la definición de una condena a efectos de inmigración es mucho más amplia que la definición de una condena a efectos penales.


Otras responsabilidades

Usted tiene otras responsabilidades como asilado. Entre ellas se incluye la obligación de notificar al USCIS cualquier cambio de domicilio en un plazo de 10 días a partir de dicho cambio utilizando el formulario AR-11, Alien's Change of Address Card (Tarjeta de cambio de domicilio del extranjero).


Además, todos los asilados varones de entre 18 y 26 años deben inscribirse en el Servicio Selectivo. Para obtener información sobre el Servicio Selectivo y cómo inscribirse, el asilado puede entrar en el sitio web del Servicio Selectivo u obtener un formulario de inscripción "por correo" del Servicio Selectivo en su oficina de correos más cercana.


Solicitud de ciudadanía

Aunque no está obligado a hacerse ciudadano estadounidense, hay razones importantes para considerar la posibilidad de hacerlo. Ser residente legal permanente no le otorga los mismos derechos legales que a los ciudadanos estadounidenses.

More Information:

bottom of page