top of page


Read for an overview of L1-visas.

Lea para obtener una descripción general de las visas L1.

Intra-Company Transferee Visa

Visa de transferencia dentro de la empresa

An L-1 intracompany transferee visa is available to qualified international executives, managers, and specialized knowledge employees transferred from an overseas organization to work for the same organization in the United States or for its American subsidiary or affiliate.

How Long Can I stay on an L-1 visa?

An intracompany transferee is accorded an L-1 visa initially for one to three years. Extensions are available for a total of six years in the case of specialized knowledge employees and up to seven years for managerial or executive employees.

What are the Advantages of an L-1 visa?

• L-1 visas are particularly advantageous because it is not necessary to prove either that the applicant has a residence abroad to which he or she intends to return or that the applicant lacks immigrant intent to receive an L-1 visa stamp from a U.S. Consul.

• Moreover, in many cases, an L-1 visa holder is eligible to receive permanent resident status without a determination by the Department of Labor that there are insufficient U.S. workers for the job available to the intracompany transferee.

What are the Requirements of an L-1 visa?

• To qualify for intracompany transferee status, it must be demonstrated that within the three years preceding the time of application the employee has been employed continuously abroad for one year by a firm, corporation or other legal entity, or a branch, affiliate or subsidiary thereof, and

• that the employee seeks to enter the United States temporarily to continue rendering services for the same employer, or a branch, subsidiary or affiliate thereof in a capacity that is managerial, executive, or involves specialized knowledge. Thus, L-1 cases present two basic issues: whether the U.S. employer is a branch, subsidiary or affiliate of the employee's employer abroad; and, whether the employee worked abroad continuously for one year during the past three years in a capacity which is managerial, executive, or involves specialized knowledge.

What is a subsidiary, affiliate or branch office?

"Branch" means an operating division or office of the same organization housed in a different location.

"Subsidiary" means:

• a firm, corporation, or other legal entity of which a parent owns, directly or indirectly, more than half of the entity and controls the entity;

• owns, directly or indirectly, half of the entity and controls the entity;

• owns, directly or indirectly, less than half of the entity, but in fact controls the entity.

"Affiliate" means:

• one of two subsidiaries both of which are owned and controlled by the same parent corporation or individual,

• one of two legal entities owned and controlled by the same group of individuals, each individual owning and controlling approximately the same share or proportion of each entity.

What jobs are “managerial” for purposes of an L-1 visa?

"Managerial capacity" means an assignment within an organization in which the employee personally manages the organization, department, subdivision, function or component; supervises and controls the work of other supervisory, professional, or managerial employees, or manages an essential function within the organization or department or subdivision of the organization; has authority to hire and fire or recommend personnel actions (if another directly supervises employees), or if no direct supervision, functions at a senior level and exercises discretionary authority over day-to-day operations of the activity or function.

What jobs are “executive ” for purposes of an L-1 visa?

"Executive capacity" means an assignment in an organization in which the employee primarily directs the management of an organization or a major component or function; establishes goals and policies; exercises wide latitude in discretionary decision-making and receives only general supervision or direction from higher level executives, the Board of Directors, or stockholders of the business.

What jobs involve “specialized knowledge” for purposes of an L-1 visa?

"Specialized knowledge" is defined to include persons who have "special knowledge of the company product and its application in international markets" or who have "an advanced level of knowledge of processes and procedures of the company." Characteristics of a specialized knowledge employee include the possession of knowledge that is valuable to the employer's competitiveness in the market place; unique qualifications that contribute to the U.S. employer's knowledge of foreign operating conditions; possession of knowledge which can be gained only through extensive prior experience with that employer; and, employees abroad who have been given significant assignments which have enhanced the employer's productivity, competitiveness, image, or financial position. Significantly, a specialized knowledge employee is not simply a highly skilled or professional worker.

What documents should I submit with my L-1 visa application?

An application for intracompany transferee L-1 status must be supported by the following:

• Evidence that the overseas company has established a subsidiary, affiliate, or branch office in the United States.

• A detailed description of the services to be performed in the United States by the L-1 beneficiary.

• Evidence that the L-1 beneficiary has at least one continuous year of full-time employment abroad with the overseas company in the last three years and evidence that this employment abroad was in a position that was managerial, executive or involved specialized knowledge.

• Evidence that the beneficiary's prior education, training, and employment qualify him or her to perform the intended services in the United States.

• Evidence that sufficient physical premises to house the U.S. employer have been leased.

• Evidence that the U.S. company has sufficient financial resources to support its business activities in the United States and pay the salary of the beneficiary.

In the case of a new business, evidence that within one year of approval of the L-1 petition, the U.S. operation will support an executive or managerial position as documented by a description of the following: the proposed number of employees and the type of positions they will hold; the size of the United States investment and the financial ability of the foreign entity to remunerate the L-1 beneficiary and support the U.S. company's conduct of business; and, the size and staffing levels of the overseas company.

Once the petition is approved, it is forwarded to the United States Consulate in the beneficiary's home country for visa issuance.

What about my spouse and dependents?

The L-1 beneficiary's spouse and unmarried children under 21 are eligible for L-2 status. L-2 spouses are eligible to apply for employment authorization.

WARNING: The article above is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice. We recommend that you get competent legal advice specific to your case.

Una visa L-1 de transferido dentro de la empresa está disponible para ejecutivos internacionales calificados, gerentes y empleados con conocimientos especializados transferidos de una organización en el extranjero para trabajar para la misma organización en los Estados Unidos o para su subsidiaria o afiliada estadounidense. ​

¿Cuánto tiempo puedo permanecer con una visa L-1? ​


A un transferido dentro de la empresa se le otorga una visa L-1 inicialmente por uno a tres años. Las extensiones están disponibles por un total de seis años en el caso de empleados con conocimientos especializados y hasta siete años para empleados gerenciales o ejecutivos. ​


¿Cuáles son las ventajas de una visa L-1? ​


• Las visas L-1 son particularmente ventajosas porque no es necesario probar que el solicitante tiene una residencia en el extranjero a la que tiene la intención de regresar o que el solicitante no tiene la intención de recibir un sello de visa L-1 de un cónsul de EE. UU. .

• Además, en muchos casos, el titular de una visa L-1 es elegible para recibir el estatus de residente permanente sin que el Departamento de Trabajo determine que no hay suficientes trabajadores estadounidenses para el trabajo disponible para el transferido dentro de la empresa.

¿Cuáles son los requisitos de una visa L-1? ​


• Para calificar para el estatus de cesionario dentro de la empresa, se debe demostrar que dentro de los tres años anteriores al momento de la solicitud, el empleado ha estado empleado continuamente en el extranjero durante un año por una empresa, corporación u otra entidad legal, o una sucursal, afiliada o subsidiaria de la misma. , y

• que el empleado busca ingresar a los Estados Unidos temporalmente para continuar prestando servicios para el mismo empleador, o una sucursal, subsidiaria o afiliada del mismo en una capacidad gerencial, ejecutiva o que involucre conocimientos especializados.


Por lo tanto, los casos L-1 presentan dos cuestiones básicas: si el empleador estadounidense es una sucursal, subsidiaria o afiliada del empleador del empleado en el extranjero; y si el empleado trabajó en el extranjero de forma continua durante un año durante los últimos tres años en una capacidad que sea gerencial, ejecutiva o que involucre conocimientos especializados. ​


¿Qué es una oficina subsidiaria, afiliada o sucursal? ​


"Sucursal" significa una división u oficina operativa de la misma organización ubicada en una ubicación diferente. ​


"Subsidiaria" significa: ​

• una firma, corporación u otra entidad legal de la cual una matriz posee, directa o indirectamente, más de la mitad de la entidad y la controla;

• posee, directa o indirectamente, la mitad de la entidad y controla la entidad;

• posee, directa o indirectamente, menos de la mitad de la entidad, pero de hecho controla la entidad. ​


"Afiliado" significa: ​

• una de las dos subsidiarias, ambas propiedad y controladas por la misma corporación matriz o individuo,

• una de dos entidades legales que pertenecen y están controladas por el mismo grupo de personas, cada una de las cuales posee y controla aproximadamente la misma participación o proporción de cada entidad.

¿Qué trabajos son "gerenciales" a los efectos de una visa L-1? ​


"Capacidad gerencial" significa una asignación dentro de una organización en la que el empleado administra personalmente la organización, departamento, subdivisión, función o componente; supervisa y controla el trabajo de otros empleados de supervisión, profesionales o gerenciales, o administra una función esencial dentro de la organización o departamento o subdivisión de la organización; tiene autoridad para contratar y despedir o recomendar acciones de personal (si otro supervisa directamente a los empleados), o si no tiene supervisión directa, funciona a un nivel superior y ejerce autoridad discrecional sobre las operaciones diarias de la actividad o función. ​


¿Qué trabajos son "ejecutivos" para propósitos de una visa L-1? ​


"Capacidad ejecutiva" significa una asignación en una organización en la que el empleado dirige principalmente la gestión de una organización o un componente o función principal; establece metas y políticas; ejerce una amplia libertad en la toma de decisiones discrecionales y solo recibe supervisión o dirección general de los ejecutivos de nivel superior, la Junta Directiva o los accionistas de la empresa. ​


¿Qué trabajos involucran “conocimiento especializado” para propósitos de una visa L-1? ​ "Conocimiento especializado" se define para incluir a personas que tienen "conocimiento especial del producto de la empresa y su aplicación en los mercados internacionales" o que tienen "un nivel avanzado de conocimiento de los procesos y procedimientos de la empresa".


Las características de un empleado con conocimientos especializados incluyen la posesión de conocimientos que son valiosos para la competitividad del empleador en el mercado; calificaciones únicas que contribuyen al conocimiento del empleador estadounidense sobre las condiciones de operación en el extranjero; posesión de conocimientos que sólo pueden adquirirse a través de una amplia experiencia previa con ese empleador; y empleados en el extranjero a quienes se les han asignado asignaciones significativas que han mejorado la productividad, competitividad, imagen o posición financiera del empleador. Significativamente, un empleado con conocimientos especializados no es simplemente un trabajador altamente calificado o profesional. ​


¿Qué documentos debo presentar con mi solicitud de visa L-1?

Una solicitud para el estado L-1 de transferido dentro de la empresa debe estar respaldada por lo siguiente: ​

• Evidencia de que la compañía extranjera ha establecido una subsidiaria, afiliada o sucursal en los Estados Unidos.

• Una descripción detallada de los servicios a realizar en los Estados Unidos por el beneficiario L-1.

• Evidencia de que el beneficiario L-1 tiene al menos un año continuo de empleo de tiempo completo en el extranjero con la empresa extranjera en los últimos tres años y evidencia de que este empleo en el extranjero fue en un puesto gerencial, ejecutivo o con conocimientos especializados involucrados.

• Evidencia de que la educación, capacitación y empleo previos del beneficiario lo califican para realizar los servicios previstos en los Estados Unidos.

• Evidencia de que se han alquilado suficientes instalaciones físicas para albergar al empleador estadounidense.

• Evidencia de que la empresa estadounidense tiene recursos financieros suficientes para respaldar sus actividades comerciales en los Estados Unidos y pagar el salario del beneficiario. ​


En el caso de un nuevo negocio, evidencia de que dentro de un año de la aprobación de la petición L-1, la operación en los EE. UU. respaldará un puesto ejecutivo o gerencial según lo documentado por una descripción de lo siguiente: el número propuesto de empleados y el tipo de cargos que ocuparán; el tamaño de la inversión estadounidense y la capacidad financiera de la entidad extranjera para remunerar al beneficiario L-1 y respaldar la conducta comercial de la empresa estadounidense; y, el tamaño y los niveles de personal de la empresa en el extranjero. ​


Una vez que se aprueba la petición, se envía al Consulado de los Estados Unidos en el país de origen del beneficiario para la emisión de la visa. ​ ¿Qué pasa con mi cónyuge y dependientes? ​ El cónyuge del beneficiario L-1 y los hijos solteros menores de 21 años son elegibles para el estatus L-2. Los cónyuges L-2 son elegibles para solicitar autorización de empleo. ​


ADVERTENCIA: El artículo anterior no pretende ser un sustituto del asesoramiento legal. Le recomendamos que obtenga asesoramiento legal competente específico para su caso.

More Information:

bottom of page